Job Description for 5495BR – Buyer for Mechanical and Electrical
Info Solar Turbines Switzerland SAGL is a fully integrated part of Solar Turbines, headquartered in San Diego, California, USA. Solar Turbines Incorporated, a subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of industrial gas turbines, with more than 15,000 units and over 2 billion operating hours in over 100 countries.
The Solar Turbines family has over 6,000 employees worldwide and is fully dedicated to its power generation markets, which are served through our people around the world. Solar is part of Caterpillar Inc., the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas reciprocating engines and industrial and industrial gas turbines.
The Buyer / SCC for Mechanical and Electrical components position is responsible and accountable for the material planning, sourcing, procurement of assigned commodities at the lowest landed cost and best delivery in support of company goals and objectives:
- Evaluates Purchased Material Requirements (from needs calculation, ROP, customer service …) and plans material replenishment / procurement.
- Support project execution strategy and support internal departments by managing external suppliers.
- Negotiate, place and administer purchase orders (request for quote process, simple price negotiations) through Need Calculation – management of high volumes of transactions.
- Manage discrepant purchased materials.
- Expedite material as required.
- Invoice reconciliation.
- Understand sourcing market and Identify supplier to fulfill business needs.
- Develop and implement commercial strategies and tools to manage costs and ensure material availability.
- Contribute expert knowledge to sourcing, logistics and resource management decisions, drive and mange supplier capacity and capability.
- Provide input for transportation and warehouse logistic decisions.
- Identifies, manages and communicate supplier’s capacity / delivery performance issues.
- Maintain data accuracy in the ERP system.
- Depending on knowledge and experience, may be responsible for legal review of any contracts that deviate from the defined process.
- Travelling: occasionally (max. 5% of the time), for short periods.
- Good negotiation skills and strong interpersonal skills, understanding of applicable business and contractual laws.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, sensitivity to and knowledge of customer needs.
- Analytical, problem solving and decision making skills as well as strong oral and written communication skills.
- Computer / system skills / MS Office skills and ERP (Navision, BAAN) systems.
- Fluent in English and Italian
- Bachelor degree in mechanical engineering or industrial engineering is preferred, or equivalent directly related experience of 1-3 years (business admin, engineering, project management or similar).
- Knowledge of inventory and planning basic principles, including reorder point (ROP) methodology and a basic understanding of manufacturing and service operations, with product and commodity knowledge preferred.
- Material Management, planning or Supply Chain certifications and knowledge of basic 6 Sigma principles will be a plus.
- Fluency in other languages will be a plus.
This position is temporary, with 12-months duration. The preferred candidate will be pay rolled by Solar.